Saturday 26 May 2012

What the sun does to a student


"The sun has got his hat on
Hip-hip-hip-hooray!
The sun has got his hat on,
He's coming out today.

Now we'll all be happy,
Hip-hip-hip-hooray!
The sun has got his hat on,
And he's coming out today."

What a great start to summer. The sun is shining, the birds are tweeting... but what does this mean to a student?

----

So the sun is shining brightly here in Cardiff. Surprisingly wet Wales is going against its conventional name and instead is beaming its light upon us.

Instantly it appears that everyone has ditched the hoodies and jeans and put on the smallest items they can find. Hot pants, bikinis and boob tubes to name the least. No disappointment there for guys. The park has become busy again and the grass is laden with empty bottles and scorching hot bbqs.

But as a first year law student are my priorities with the weather or with the books?

I've never been one to dash into the sun as soon as it comes out. Flashing skin as a bathe in the worlds glory. In fact, this is probably because i'd end up resembling a tomato not long later. Sunbathing has never really been my thing. Just laying and doing nothing, watching as the world goes by - couldn't be any more boring in my eyes! I'd rather be in the sun doing something. Frisbee perhaps... or swimming on the beach.

These luxuries are currently put on hold however, as my final exams loom ever so closer. It seems everyone is thinking the same as they sit inside and slave over textbooks with thousands of pages and cover their walls in posters so extravagantly you wouldn't see the paint.

So many times you hear people saying "first year doesn't matter, it doesn't count to your degree." They are correct in the sense that it does not amount to your final overall grade, but it is still recorded! I will find myself applying for training contracts next year with only the first year grade to go on. So don't tell me it doesn't matter.

As lovely as the weather is it must now be put on hold. I can't afford to lay around and get burn't when exams are on the line. And now i've been faced with the tricky decisions: do i go away for a few days next week! Ahhhh.


Well on that note, back to the books I go. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment